In late 2006 my passion for Porsche that had been kindled by owning a boxster lead me to search for a 911. In February 2007 I found a lovely, well used 964 carrera 2 coupe in GP white and embarked on a new adventure. This running report is about my 964 that would be used for high days, holidays and track days and be a 'project car'. It wouldn't matter if it spent time waiting for things to be fixed as it wouldn't be used as a daily driver.

Sunday 9 November 2008

Start of weight reduction (Oct 07)

Over time I aim to put the car on a partial diet to improve the power to weight ratio. However, I'm not aiming to go mad with it as although I want the car to be a bit quicker for track days, I still want it to remain comfortable for touring.

Today I removed the rear seat backs and the engine undertray. Removing the latter should also help engine cooling and I'm hoping it will fix the mild smoking problem I get when the car is driven hard - I think it's being caused by the oil that weeps from the valve covers dropping onto the tray. As the tray makes contact with the primary silencer, the collected oil then burns off.

Weight losses so far:

Fitting teardrop mirrors in place of flag mirrors -1 Kg
Removal of undertray - 6.4 Kg
Removal of rear seat backs - 7 Kg

Total loss so far - 14.4 Kg

Further losses are planned over the winter. These include swapping the leather comfort seats for Recaro Pole Positions and to fit a cup bypass pipe in place of the primary silencer.

Even with the rear seat backs removed it still looks pretty tidy in the back:

No comments: