In late 2006 my passion for Porsche that had been kindled by owning a boxster lead me to search for a 911. In February 2007 I found a lovely, well used 964 carrera 2 coupe in GP white and embarked on a new adventure. This running report is about my 964 that would be used for high days, holidays and track days and be a 'project car'. It wouldn't matter if it spent time waiting for things to be fixed as it wouldn't be used as a daily driver.

Tuesday 10 November 2009

Water under the carpets (Feb 08)

My carpet underlay/soundproofing was absolutely soaking and needed ripping out and binning. This has been caused by years of little leaks most often caused by blocked sunroof drains. It is a common problem on 964s. The question was what should I replace it with? I could have bought replacement underlay from Porsche for a few hundred pounds. But rather than do this I wanted to take the opportunity to shed a few pounds in weight. Here's what I did about this in pics.

First the state of the soundproofing underneath the carpet:



Very wet and very heavy



Cleaned it all up:



Filled the wells in the floor with Gardener's kneeling foam mats (very light):



Then used the old soundproofing as a template to cut out and put down a layer of sleeping bag foam (extremely light) to protect the wiring followed by some hard board to make sure it was firm underfoot.



Carpet mat back on and she's good to go:



I did the passenger footwell and rear footwells to. These weren't wet but as I said it all helps in the power to weight ratio stakes.

No comments: