In late 2006 my passion for Porsche that had been kindled by owning a boxster lead me to search for a 911. In February 2007 I found a lovely, well used 964 carrera 2 coupe in GP white and embarked on a new adventure. This running report is about my 964 that would be used for high days, holidays and track days and be a 'project car'. It wouldn't matter if it spent time waiting for things to be fixed as it wouldn't be used as a daily driver.

Tuesday 24 November 2009

Fixed the oil sender leak (Mar 08)

Today I tackled the suspected cause of the oil leak that has been dogging the car since I bought it. I removed the air cleaner box and intake manifold on the right side and found significant amounts of oil on top of the engine around the oil temperature sender unit:



Inside of the manifold was pretty oily too!



So I cleaned that up with brake cleaner:



Here's the oil sender unit just after removing it from the top of the engine:



The seal was clearly shagged and obviously Porsche realised that this was a weak point as the replacement part has clearly been upgraded (green O ring fitted to the unit).



Here's the oil sender unit back in position and I've cleaned away as much of the oil as I can. Fingers crossed now that the embaressing smoking when hot problem has been remedied.

No comments: