In late 2006 my passion for Porsche that had been kindled by owning a boxster lead me to search for a 911. In February 2007 I found a lovely, well used 964 carrera 2 coupe in GP white and embarked on a new adventure. This running report is about my 964 that would be used for high days, holidays and track days and be a 'project car'. It wouldn't matter if it spent time waiting for things to be fixed as it wouldn't be used as a daily driver.

Monday 7 January 2008

Problems with the indicators (Mar 07)

The first job at home was to rip out out the old indicator stalk mechanism (I had to hold up the stalk when indicating to go right) and put on a new one. Amazingly even though the car has been out of production for some 15 years, I was still able to order a new assembly. Just had to wait a few days for it to be shipped over from Porsche-land. Even though it was £192, I thought it was better to get new rather than buy an old used one that might not last long.

Owing to the lack of an airbag, disassembly of the steering wheel was straight forward and the new stalk mechanism installed very easily. I had to modify the plastic cowling because I bought the 3 stalk model which will operate the OBC when I get round to hacking into the dash wiring to get it up and running (this option wasn't ordered when the car was new).

So now I can safely turn right without the worry of someone ploughing into the back of me because they thought I'd cancelled the indicator on purpose!

No comments: