In late 2006 my passion for Porsche that had been kindled by owning a boxster lead me to search for a 911. In February 2007 I found a lovely, well used 964 carrera 2 coupe in GP white and embarked on a new adventure. This running report is about my 964 that would be used for high days, holidays and track days and be a 'project car'. It wouldn't matter if it spent time waiting for things to be fixed as it wouldn't be used as a daily driver.

Sunday 20 January 2008

First Trackday (May 07)

I had taken the boxster on track twice and had really caught the but. The first trackday for the 964 was an evening session at Bedford autodrome organised by 911UK.com



It was absolutely brilliant fun! The track was wet but not soaking yet the car performed superbly. I was astonished at the amount of grip it has for an old design. Never got close to a spin all evening . The instructor was equally impressed with its levels of grip and commented so. It was in its element coming out of fast corners as it was just a simple case of giving it loads of throttle and gently winding off the lock. Fantastic grip and balance. However, first time out (and being wet) I was braking early to ensure I had a sensible entry speed and I had some concerns about the ABS (didn't cut in consistently). No doubt I'll get more confident in it as time goes on.

The only worrying moment of the night was when blue smoke started pouring out of the engine bay after the first hard session . This was simply down to me topping up the oil a bit much that morning. Once it had spat out what it didn't need (which dripped onto the exhaust) all was fine - phew!



No comments: