In late 2006 my passion for Porsche that had been kindled by owning a boxster lead me to search for a 911. In February 2007 I found a lovely, well used 964 carrera 2 coupe in GP white and embarked on a new adventure. This running report is about my 964 that would be used for high days, holidays and track days and be a 'project car'. It wouldn't matter if it spent time waiting for things to be fixed as it wouldn't be used as a daily driver.

Sunday 20 January 2008

Airbox and Wing Mirrors (May 07)

A long weekend gave me lots of time to work on the car.

First off was the simple job of replacing the taped up airbox cover (this had been a temporary fix to the big hole that had been cut in the side to get more intake noise) with a new one that I recently bought off a 964RS owner.

I also decided to fit a new battery (75 Ah Bosch Silver costing £75) since the current one was over 5 years old.

The next job was to get the wing mirrors operating. Replacing the big 'flag' mirrors with the more aesthetic (and lighter) 'teardrop' mirrors is a popular upgrade for 964s. These mirrors can be hard to get hold of and regularly go for more than £250 a pair on flea bay. The previous owner had already bought and fitted the teardrops but being somewhat DIY challenged, he had not been able to wire them up. This was quite evident when I remove the mirrors and found that the wires had simply been cut through and taped together with masking tape!

In order to wire up the teardrops it's necessary to cut off the wiring plug and join everything up with bullet crimps. The pic below shows the new and old mirrors (these came with the car), the plug I had to cut off the teardrops and the male bullet crimps on the teardrop. They are now working as they should be.

No comments: