In late 2006 my passion for Porsche that had been kindled by owning a boxster lead me to search for a 911. In February 2007 I found a lovely, well used 964 carrera 2 coupe in GP white and embarked on a new adventure. This running report is about my 964 that would be used for high days, holidays and track days and be a 'project car'. It wouldn't matter if it spent time waiting for things to be fixed as it wouldn't be used as a daily driver.

Friday 7 October 2011

A 'New' set of Track Wheels (Sep 09)

I've been thinking about wheels again lately and keeping a keen eye on the usual places they come up for sale. Ideally I want to change the Cup 1 replicas that I use on the road for something smarter. The Cup 1s were badly kerbed when I got the car and are heavy compared to original wheels. Similarly, I wanted to swap the boxster wheels I use for the track for something a bit more in keeping with the car but not overly expensive.

First to come up were the 'track wheels' which I found on ebay just over a week ago. I've now got a set of 17 inch 996 carrera 4 wheels for it for the princely sum of £258!

These are 7 inch wide at the front and 9 inch wide at the rear, with offsets that don't need any spacers. Although not the best looking Porsche wheels in the world, they have a good reputation for being light and strong. Ideal for the track.



With the wheels on at their first outing at Oulton Park:


...and on the move at Curborough:




No comments: